The Coronavirus crisis has thrown society into turmoil, and renters have been hit hard. With millions now being thrown into financial uncertainty, some are being forced to choose between meeting rent and buying food.
If you’re affected by the crisis, remember - you are not alone.
While we welcome measures brought in by the government, we do not believe they go far enough. While landlords have been given a mortgage holiday, renters are still having to pay rent. And although the government has put a halt on evictions, these restrictions last only for three months. At the end of this period we are expecting a wave of evictions, unless the government acts.
Our message is simple: Nobody should lose their home due to this crisis. We are calling for a suspension of rent for the duration of the crisis, a permanent halt to evictions resulting from the crisis, and a cancellation of all rent arrears accrued due to loss of income during the pandemic.
Throughout the crisis we are working to support renters. Here are some available resources:
- TUUK letter template to landlord to request rent reduction.
- Shelter's guide on rights as a renter during the pandemic.
- GMLC ‘Survival Guide’.
We are also organising during the crisis, including:
- A weekly open organising call every Wednesday at 2pm to coordinate campaigning activity. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- A series of advice sessions partnering with GMLC to support tenants with housing issues through the crisis. For more information follow out social media or contact email@example.com
- Online podcasts, webinars and other educational content. To keep up to date with this, follow our social media.